Friday, April 15, 2016

Dizziness Demands a Decision: Delectable or Disciplined?

Friday, April 8, 2016

Today was a ROUGH rough day, physically! :-( It started with huge waves of dizziness even overnight, in my sleep… the kind that woke me up out of a dead sleep, with the feeling that I could fall out of bed. That is a miserable feeling, and one I’ve not had in several weeks, thankfully. It’s frustrating, though, not to know why it happens when it happens. (I suspect it has to do with the hormones in my cycle, though the response is not consistent. Some months the dizziness does not change around my cycle, and other months it is drastic, like this.)

When my husband left for work, I was in my recliner, hoping for improvement after a morning of slowly spinning out to the living room, grabbing on to counter tops and walls as I tried to act normally. One of the kids got a valium for me, since I couldn’t stand or walk by then. The valium often takes an edge off things, at least enough that I can safely walk back to my bedroom. I dozed a bit in the recliner, but continued to awaken, crying because of dizziness, and again with the waves of feeling as though I were falling off the side of the chair, even though it was fully reclined and I was braced in with pillows. Soooo miserable. :-(

My girls take such good care of me, and I hate that they have such heavy responsibility some days. I’m so glad they’re homeschooling right now, though, or I could have been in serious trouble! They ended up calling a sweet neighbor, who quickly came over and helped to walk/drag me to my room so I could get in bed. By that time, I knew “toughing it out” was not going to be the solution today.
Obviously, since I wasn’t doing anything, I didn’t need much food today. I found a bag of Panera chips (ingredients: potatoes, sunflower oil, and sea salt) on the dresser during one of the times I made it to the bathroom unassisted, so I snacked on that mid-afternoon. When the kids got home from Burger King (look at me, sticking with my guidelines and not eating fast food meat!), my sweet son, Malachi, made me a Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich and hand delivered it to me in bed. What a guy!

I was able to sit up in bed for more than an hour in the evening, but was back to lying back down by the time Dan got home from work. I listened to one of my books on tape, read ahead in some of the devotional books I’ve been making my way through, and dozed off and on throughout the afternoon and evening.

The one weakness I allowed myself is a bit embarrassing, but in the interest of full disclosure, I’ll tell you. I asked my son to bring me a small Sprite from Burger King. (embarrassed grimace) That carbonation was so yummy, but I’ll tell you, it is NOT the same as dark soda. In fact, I felt like I was traveling on an airplane, because that is about the only time I’m ever sick enough to drink plain Sprite. Alas… I’m just going to have to stick to my commitment against root beer until the Ohio trip. :-) I don’t think it will kill me, but then again it might… what do you think? :-)

My FitBit tells the story of just how little I moved and was capable of getting around today. My daily goal is 2000 steps, since I've been struggling with the vertigo and my surgeon wants me to minimize walking because of my hip degeneration. Today, apparently, I took exactly 104 steps. Wow… that is lame-oh! Praying tomorrow will be better. 

The verses God gave me today were almost ironic, in light of how unsteady my steps were. Check out Psalm 40:1-3 ~
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings (another version says "He made my footsteps firm). And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
When I find myself overwhelmed and fearful, in the midst of a vertigo attack like I experienced today, my responsibility is to cry to God and to remind myself of His promises to me. His responsibility is to incline unto me and set my feet on a rock. I can trust Him, even in the midst of a spinning world!

No comments:

Post a Comment