Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Day Ten: Modified Daniel Fast

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

When we woke up this morning, the house was 67 degrees, and soon fell to 66 degrees. Isn’t it funny that, although I know I can start adding things back in tomorrow, it was today that I was most tempted for a cup of coffee? I just want something warm that tastes comforting! J But God wants me to find my comfort in Him, not in a coffee cup. So that's what I did.

I had my granola from the cookbook this morning, with my classic coconut milk. (I think it might be growing on me? It didn’t seem quite so gross today.) I ran out of my dried cranberries, and I’m a bit low on the blueberries, so thought I’d wait till those are replaced before I eat the Kashi again. It needs all the help it can get! :-)

My hubby is off today (It’s his weekend), so I’m planning the White Bean Salad (from the Daniel Fast book) for lunch. I think he’ll enjoy it, and it will broaden the girls’ horizons, which is good for them. :-) They think they’re about to die from having their diets stretched so far this week. I think they’ll live. :-) The salad wasn’t the most popular thing I’ve made, but it wasn’t the worst, either. There was a bit left over, which will be even worse tomorrow, I’m thinking.

For supper, Dan grilled again, as he had done last night. We did the Veggie Kebabs from the Daniel Fast book, which basically entails chopping a ba-jillion (that’s actually a number!) veggies, then marinating them in soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and I don’t remember what else. We used cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onions, red and yellow peppers, red potatoes, carrots, and all sorts of yummy veggies. Dan grilled it up in a grill basket while he did his venison steaks. It was yummy yummy!

I suspect that if I release myself from the food guidelines without setting boundaries for myself, I’ll go crazy and lose the ground (both in my health and in my relationship with the Lord) that I've fought so hard for during this time. Since I want to continue the healthy choices I’ve made, and I still suspect there could be some continuing health benefits from limiting my sugar intake (ya think?!), these are the boundaries I’m setting for the remainder of the week:
  •  I will eat dairy (cheese, sour cream, or milk to drink) only when the rest of the family is doing so. Even then, I will do so in moderation, using “half of my normal serving” as a guideline.
  • I will enjoy a cup of (decaf) coffee no more than once every 48 hours. That is about what I’ve always done, but I’m going to make it a hard and fast rule to keep me honest. 
  • I will not have dark soda until the Ohio trip (mid-April). From now till May 26, if a decaf flavored lemonade option is available (for instance, in restaurants or at Panera), I will choose that. (I only drink decaf soda anyway, whether dark or light.)
  • I will not eat fast-food meats (burgers, chicken nuggets, etc). Instead, I will choose the less processed cut of meat (steak or grilled chicken topping on a taco salad, etc).
  • When the family has pizza, I will eat only ONE piece, and enjoy the daylights out of it, while finishing my meal with a classic Daniel Fast leftover or recipe. (Yikes! Did I really just say that?!)
  • I will continue to use my Daniel Fast recipes for sweets (the oatmeal raisin cookies and the apricot breakfast bars) until the Ohio trip, with the exception that I will enjoy a dark-chocolate covered almond once in awhile.

What other guidelines do you think would be wise? Have I not gone far enough on any of these? I know, I know… cutting out soda completely would be a lot healthier. I’m getting there, OK? J  I’ll continue to update from time to time as I add things back in, and we’ll see where we’re at in a few days!

Thank you for joining me on my Daniel Fast journey. I hope you’ve been encouraged to try some new recipes yourself, and maybe to make a fasting commitment of your own to God, whether form certain types of food, or from some other area in which He is prompting you. God bless you on your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment