Monday, April 4, 2016

Day Two: Modified Daniel Fast

Monday, March 28, 2016

Today started early and painfully. After being awake from 3am to 5am, the alarm went off at 6 to leave the house for a difficult meeting at school with our administrator regarding some challenges we’ve discovered with one of our children. That meeting lasted, with much prayer and lots of tears, till ten a.m. and was followed by two more meetings later in the day with others who had been impacted by our child’s choices. It was the perfect day for food temptations, trust me!  I thought many times how yummy a cold, fizzy soda would be, and when my husband asked me to go to lunch with him (something we rarely make time for), I decided to join him, but make the best choices I could without making him uncomfortable about having asked me. I had the nachos, with baked tortilla chips, black beans, lettuce, avocado, and a bunch of other “allowable” stuff. Unfortunately, I was not at the counter to tell them to make it without cheese, so I did end up eating some of the cheese. I also ordered it with the grilled chicken, knowing 1) I needed all the strength I could get for the decisions that needed to be made, and 2) that my husband would enjoy the leftovers more if I saved him most of the chicken. J

When I had an hour at home between appointments, I was able to spend some time on II Chronicles 20: 1-4, where Jehoshaphat declares a fast throughout the land of Israel. The reason God gives for the fast is that the people were afraid. Though they were afraid because of an imminent attack, all of us face fears on a regular basis. These verses were perfect for me today, because it is easy to be overcome by fear when a child is turning their back on God’s ways, or when I am facing difficulties with my health. Both of these fears have had an impact on me today.

For meals today, I spent a LOT of time and energy shopping for the specific items that would make these choices easier. I discovered that Aldi sells a lot of items with no added sugar. The pasta sauce that my whole family loves has no sugar!!! J I bought a spaghetti squash to go with that.  Aldi also serves some dried fruits that have no added sugar, and they are an inexpensive place to get the nuts I’d like to use in some of the dishes. I also buy my rolled oats there, which makes oat flour and oat-based foods easy and inexpensive. Their pesto is also amazing, yummy, and has all legal ingredients.


For other items, I finally made my first trip to Sprouts. Again, God gave miraculous strength, not only to be able to participate in so many meetings (usually, I would be in pain, or too dizzy to be able to concentrate), as well as to work my way through two stores. I have not been able to shop in over a year because of the migraines, and even before that, I was using handicapped carts because of my hips. I did use the electric cart at Sprouts, and reminded myself and my husband both why I am NOT driving right now! J Let’s just say, this 'woman driver' had some close calls, proving that I am not able to focus on where I am going while also watching for cross-traffic. J


With all my new yummy ingredients, I was able to make a version of Taco Salad (black beans, corn, diced tomato, and homemade taco seasoning in the crockpot) with avocado to give it a creamier texture (I really missed my cheese and sour cream!!!) and brown rice to make it stick to the ribs a bit better. I served this to the whole family, and they loved it for the most part. We forgot the lettuce… go figure…. So that’s about par for the course around here. J 

I also used a recipe out of the Daniel Fast book to make oatmeal raisin cookies. While they’re a little more dense and less sweet than I would like, they really hit the spot when you haven’t had “real sugar” in a few days! However, I quickly discovered that I cannot drink Coconut milk plain. YUCK! I can use it over cereal, but alone, it tastes like someone strained cow’s milk through their dirty socks! I think so far (after only 48 hours!), it is cow’s milk that I miss more than anything else.

What are your thoughts on the choices I made? What would you have done differently? Any recipe suggestions from the ingredients I listed?

No comments:

Post a Comment