Sunday, April 10, 2016

Day Eight: Modified Daniel Fast

The last couple days' posts were scheduled (to post on Friday and on Saturday) after I wrote them on Thursday. At the time, I didn't realize why God had prompted me to do it that way. However, I've spent the last two days flat on my back with the worst dizziness and headaches I've had in many months. Praise the Lord for His faithfulness, and for His healing! It's been so nice to be out of bed some, and able to interact with my family today. So, before the day is over.... here is today's post. :-) Thank you for your feedback in person and via email. I hope these posts have been a blessing and encouragement to you in your journey with the Lord.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Psalm 16: 7-8, 11 ~ “I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. You will show me the path of life; in the presence is fullness of joy; at the right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” [paraphrased; emphasis mine]

These verses were such a comfort to me this morning. As I hit the one-week mark on this journey, it is easy to become discouraged because I have not seen the miraculous results in our child’s life that I have asked God for. Furthermore, the wholesale change in my eating habits has not, apparently, made a drastic difference in my dizziness, restfulness, or headaches. But I continually go back to the fact that it was God who counseled me to do this, and the results are His responsibility, not mine. I will not be moved, or shaken, because He takes longer to answer than I had scheduled (how infantile, to put the God of the universe on my human timetable, anyway!). Instead, I will rest in the pleasures of the closer relationship He and I have developed through this time, and I will continue to seek Him ever more earnestly in the days to come.

I really wanted to make it to church today, but it is a big deal for Dan to be able to have me there, knowing he might need to leave at a moment's notice, and that he needs to get me right home afterward. There were some people he still needed to talk to regarding the issues of the last couple weeks, so we decided together that I needed to stay home this morning. And by tonight, I wasn't able to attend because of the dizziness and exhaustion. Ah well... the Live Stream services from Val Verde continue to be a huge blessing! My son's youth group put on tonight's service, and he preached the closing. I have no greater joy than to "see" my children walk in truth! ~III John 4

For lunch, I was able to put together the Black & White Chili (also served last Wednesday night), since the kids had all requested it again. This time, my hubby got to try it, too. Unfortunately, he doesn’t care for chili in general. His comment was, “You took out the part of chili that I like (the meat) and put in more of what I don’t like (the beans).” Haha…. But he had seconds! He’s always super sweet about trying my creative failings in the kitchen. :-) I also attempted to make corn muffins from the Daniel Fast book, but I didn’t have rice milk (the only liquid in the recipe), so I substituted coconut milk. I soon discovered that coconut milk is not as watery as rice milk, and the muffins turned out like little sand-flavored rocks. They were OK in the chili, but not really edible by themselves. Again, my sweet hubby drizzled his with honey and got them down with a good attitude! He’s a keeper, for sure!

It was a rough day physically. There was lots of dizziness, coupled with a minor headache that I think was rooted in a stiff neck and shoulders. I’m just not sleeping well, and it’s discouraging to not be seeing more of a benefit from the changes I’ve made. For reals…. It’s been a week! Before I started this, I was told “You could probably see a difference within a few days!” Now people are telling me, “It might take a few weeks.” That’s a bit discouraging. :-/

For supper, I ate some leftovers of the other healthy stuff I’ve had in the fridge. Most of these healthy dishes are definitely more appetizing fresh! But alas… I hate to waste food, and I’ve already messed up on the onion soup. GGrrr…


Finally, when Dan got home from church with the kids, he set them to making Ramen and asked me to go out with him somewhere where he could catch the Royals’ opening game. We found a little Mexican restaurant that we hadn’t tried before and I ate the chips and salsa, even though I didn’t know the ingredients. I tried some Espinaca dip (which I’d never ordered before), thinking it would be mostly spinach and tomato, but it was quite cheesy, and I knew it wouldn’t fit my commitments, so I saved it and brought it home for the kids. The hardest thing at the restaurant was to drink the water I had brought from home, instead of ordering a nice BIIIIG refreshing soda! They didn’t even have hand-flavored lemonades… just the pink lemonade from the fountain, so I made the right choice, but it was HAAARD!! God is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment