Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Book Review: That Printer of Udell's by Harold Bell Wright

It’s been several weeks since I reviewed a book here, so I thought I’d let you know about a great book I finished last month. As I was reading a biography about The Faith of Ronald Reagan, the author mentioned that President Reagan considered this book to be the most impactful book he had ever read, outside of the Bible.  That fascinated me, so I found the book on Overdrive and listened to the audio version. Sure enough, it is a spiritually challenging book, so I bought a used copy on Amazon, and am passing it around to my local family members with my highest recommendations!

Harold Bell Wright, a Disciples of Christ clergyman, lived from 1872 to 1944 and wrote numerous books that have impacted generations of Christians. His books, including The Shepherd of the Hills, challenge believers to live out their faith in ways that often go against the grain of the established church.  As I've read some of Wright's work, I've often found myself convicted about my own lackadaisical response, either to the sufferings of others (a social gospel), or about their eternal souls (an evangelistic gospel). Ministering to both sides of the human condition should be a natural outgrowth of our love for Christ, and That Printer of Udell's communicates these priorities effectively.


The book follows the young adult years of Dick Falkner, who leaves the home of an alcoholic father to find his own way in the world. The response of church people and of the official clergy in the town where he lands is convicting, and leaves Dick with few options. The author leads Dick to the business of an unchurched man, who proceeds to show 'true religion' (James 1:27), though he avoids the church and Christians at all costs. As Dick comes into contact with the young people of the church, the author draws a distinction between those living their faith and those out to get only the social benefit of being prominent church members.

There are many ups and downs in Dick's relationships with Christians and non-Christians in his adopted Missouri town. The course he chooses is not easily accepted by the local religious community, but it makes a difference in the trajectory of his own life, as well as in the lives of many of his companions. Wright shows clearly how Dick's choices affect not only his everyday working life, but also his free time, his dating relationship, and every segment of his life.

If you have teens in your home, I highly recommend that you encourage them to read this book and discuss it with you. If you are courageous enough to have your own toes stepped on, get the book for free (at your local library or on Overdrive.com) and read it this weekend! You won't be sorry, and you might just find it life-changing!


DON'T FORGET: If you're interested in owning a copy of the Daniel Fast book I've been mentioning all month, you have just 3 more days to enter the giveaway! I'm drawing a winner this Saturday, April 23!

No comments:

Post a Comment