Thursday, April 14, 2016

Continuing Healthy Choices

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Day Two of the rest of my life. :-) If I'm going to make these changes a permanent part of my commitment to healthy eating and honoring God with the temple of my body, then I need to keep going in the right direction from this point.

For breakfast, I enjoyed the homemade granola from the Daniel Fast book with my mixed coconut and 1% cow’s milk. I would love to eat more Kashi, but I’ve been out of cranberries for a while, and blueberries have gotten more expensive. I don’t want to eat it with just raisins. :-)


I also enjoyed a cup of decaf coffee (my first since before Easter) with Peppermint Mocha creamer mid-morning as I worked on school with the girls. That was delightful, let me tell you! (Ok... so it was a bit too early in the day for me to do a selfie, but look at my awesome cup from a sweet friend in Texas!)

Lunch was an incredibly tempting proposition, but the girls and I persevered. First, we finished off the grilled veggies from Tuesday night, when Dan grilled for us. Then, we each finished off the few bites of our individual pizzas that we had put away as leftovers last night. Finally, we jumped into the leftover hot dogs and brats from one of the grill nights. I was so excited to eat a brat, after so long without meat as a main meal! I sliced it in half (as I always do, to cut calories and keep from over-stuffing my tummy), souped it up with my homemade ketchup and some spicy brown mustard, and dug in…. only to find it was a PINEAPPLE brat! Yuck! The sweet flavor was quite a downer after I had gotten myself so worked up. Needless to say, I let my older daughter finish my brat, and I reminded myself that this was a great opportunity to exercise self-control (as opposed to grabbing a hot dog and eating it, instead). I wasn’t truly still hungry after the veggies and bites of pizza, but I knew my tummy would be complaining very soon. In the afternoon, we snacked on dried fruit, and I worked on dinner, which needed to be ready to deliver to a sick friend by 3pm. 

For supper I was quite proud of myself for tackling the Tuscan soup from the Daniel Fast cookbook. Since I’m off my 10-day Daniel Fast, and since I was also providing it for a sick friend, I added some sausage that I already had browned in the freezer. The soup included carrots, diced tomato, cannelloni beans, onion, garlic, lentils, and spinach, and it was yummy awesome!  I thickened it, as I have most of the others, with more of the pureed veggies from making veggie broth. Not sure how long it will be before the puree goes south, though, and I can’t seem to use it all before that happens. I also served the soup with Saltine crackers. All in all, it was a comfort food that I knew contained some really healthy ingredients that I otherwise never would have tried! :-) Day two of continuing with healthy choices - CHECK!

No comments:

Post a Comment