Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Making Memories... and Snow Ice Cream

In Kansas City this week, we received our first measurable snow-fall in more than two years. It was awesome!!! I'm a snow lover, though, and I like it even better when there's a layer of ice under it, so we're stuck at home with a good book.


Since we had gone so long without a good snow, my girls and I immediately started thinking of all the fun things we could do with this type of weather. Unfortunately, the temps hovered around zero for the first couple of days after the storm. While the kids were out in it a lot, I was staying snug and warm in my chair! :-)

The first thing my girls do any time there is snow in the forecast, is to put a bowl out on the picnic table on our deck. They know that if they can collect enough snow, we'll make Snow Ice Cream! Yeah!!!

I thought I'd share the recipe and process with you, so you could enjoy this sweet treat with us when you're next blessed with a snow-pocalypse! :-)


Ingredients - for 1 gallon of (wet) snow, you'll need:
    1 cup white sugar
    2 cups milk
    vanilla, to taste (up to 1 Tbsp)


Before dumping in the whole amount of milk and sugar, start with about half and mix it in super well. I found that this snow did not mix the same way previous snow falls have mixed. The colder the temps, the drier your snow will be, and it will take A LOT more snow (about double) to make the same ingredients work. If your snow falls when the temps are right around 30 degrees Fahrenheit, then you can use the proportions listed above.


I found that my Snow Cream was too strong (too sweet, and too slushy), so we went outside and scooped more snow off the tops of the tables and chairs (do this carefully... and avoid the yellow snow!) :-) Eventually, the Snow Cream had the texture of crumbs, which is a much better texture. That way, when you serve it, it collapses into scoops and serves up beautifully!


Enjoy the recipe, but most of all, enjoy making memories with your kids while you relish the beauty of God's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment