Thursday, March 31, 2016

Modified Daniel Fast

I've been trying a version of an elimination diet this week, in yet another attempt to "get healthy." As I studied out God's Word regarding health, I kept coming back to the diet Daniel chose when he wanted to show his commitment to the one true God. His mode of refusing 'choice foods' had the side effect of showing him and his friends to be healthier than their other companions. He chose to use a ten-day fast to prove the point, following that up with an entire lifestyle change for the whole group.

After praying about it for a few days, I felt like the Lord was really offering me this opportunity, not just to see if it would make me feel better physically, and possibly lose some weight, but also to draw closer to Him. How I would need that in the weeks of the fast, I couldn't imagine at the time! God has taken our family through a sifting this week unlike any we've experienced yet. He is showing grace and mercy throughout the trials, but I've been extra-grateful for the promises in His word that I've re-discovered as a result of the time we're spending together each day.

While I don't see this as a permanent lifestyle change, I have been pleasantly surprised by a few things:

  1.     I haven't died yet, even after eliminating all the fun stuff (sugar, dairy, coffee, meat, etc) from my diet! Wonder of wonders! (The jury is still out... I may yet die if I don't get some chocolate pretty soon!) :-) 
  2.     I have found many recipes that do not include sugar, dairy, or meat, and yet are completely palatable to me and to my family. We might actually come out of this experience with some new favorites!
  3.     There are some very weird foods out there that I've been avoiding just because I'd never worked with them. Creativity takes courage, and it isn't always a bad thing. I hate wasting money by buying a strange ingredient and not knowing what to do with it. The book I've been using has been a huge blessing in this regard! (I broke a cardinal rule and spent a whole $1.99 on this book, but it has been worth that and SOOO much more throughout this process!)

Starting Sunday, I'll be sharing my diary from this Modified Daniel Fast (as I'm calling it), with a few deleted sentences to maintain the privacy of those involved in this family issue. I would appreciate your prayers as I seek the Lord's wisdom on how long to continue this process, and continue to ask Him for miraculous healing, both spiritually for our family, and personally for myself.

Have you ever done something like the Daniel Diet? What were your results? Do you have a favorite recipe suggestion from that experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment