Saturday, February 15, 2014

My heart is broken tonight for yet another cancer warrior. Please celebrate with me the life of Kori E. Quinn, age 18, one of the bravest girls I've ever had the privilege of knowing.




Kori's body succumbed to Ewing's Sarcoma in February, 2014 after a five year battle, including multiple relapses. She fought with all her strength, and used every breath God granted her to further awareness and research for pediatric cancers. In her last post on Facebook, she urged friends and strangers alike to donate life-giving blood, if not for her, then for someone else in need. Selfless to the end, Kori's courage should be emulated by anyone who finds himself fighting against the odds. We love you, Kori. You will be missed.






This is Kori's amazing mom, Krista, who helped her daughter to start the foundation that bears her name, i-rok foundation.org. She has vowed to continue the work of this foundation to ease the lives of cancer warriors and advance the cause of research for pediatric cancers in the U.S.




The girls always appreciate the individualized attention from our Care Assistants and nurses in the Hem/Onc clinic. Elizabeth is in the pink/red shirt above. Sarah is one of the blonds below. I can't remember the name of the nurse in the green shirt :-(




One of the neatest opportunities for cancer families is an annual Christmas party, hosted at a schnazzy ballroom downtown. They pamper the kids and shower them with gifts, as well as attention and support for the parents and siblings.

Strangely, along with the pride I feel for the amazing life Kori lived, and the fiercely protective feelings I have for each of our child warriors, there is another feeling. For lack of a better term, I sense it is something like a survivor's guilt. The questions loom when I am least prepared. Why did my daughter celebrate her 5 year remission date during the same week her friend was being life-flighted home from college to fight the final battle of her war on cancer? Does anyone else's child have less to offer the world? I know these fears don't serve a purpose, so I turn them over to the Lord and commit myself once again to the advocacy and awareness I know were so important to Kori in the last five years of her life.

Thank you for coming on this pictorial journey with me. And please, go kiss your child one more time. So many moms do not have that opportunity tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment